About the Book
When children grow up, the parents must die
California gang leader Mary Lou has built a criminal empire while her adult children are desperate for their mother’s attention and love.
As her mental faculties wane, Alice and Frank Jr must acknowledge their mother is not the woman she once was and that they need to step up and take the helm, despite the stark differences between them.
But their sibling rivalry blinds both of them to their weaknesses which threatens the family when the Russian mob moves into the state. How can they fend off those attacks while fighting to decide who will lead the family now their dear Mama’s gone?
4/5 stars: A mob-fueled soap opera full of family intrigue
First of all, look at that cover – so hauntingly beautiful.
Next, this is book four in a series, but can be read as a standalone. I had no problems picking up the storyline and being drawn in.
OK, onto the story – this is one family that will make you happy to see yours! There’s a lot of intrigue and behind-the-scenes maneuvering as everyone tries to find their new place in the family “business.” I enjoyed that storyline because I think that’s such a natural part of life, and Borstinski really showed that struggle really well: how you are trying to find yourself while meeting expectations, etc.
Also, the struggle Mary Lou was facing (no spoilers here!) was very authentic-feeling. It was done really well.
I also couldn’t help but root for some of the characters even though their business is a little unsavory, shall we say. And the bad guys? They were realllllly bad. Borstinski did a great job of drawing out the characters and creating good dynamics.
Overall, if you’re a Sopranos fan, or even a fan of a good family saga, you’ll enjoy this book.
About the Book
Leopold Borstinski is an independent author whose past careers have included financial journalism, business management of financial software companies, consulting and product sales and marketing, as well as teaching.
There is nothing he likes better so he does as much nothing as he possibly can. He has travelled extensively in Europe and the US and has visited Asia on several occasions. Leopold holds a Philosophy degree and tries not to drop it too often.
He lives near London and is married with one wife, one child and no pets.
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/borstinski
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/LeoBorstinski
- Website: http://www.leopoldborstinski.com/
- Amazon Author Page: https://www.amazon.co.uk/l/B071ZZXZMR?_encoding=UTF8&redirectedFromKindleDbs=true&ref=dbs_p_ebk_r00_abau_000000&rfkd=1&shoppingPortalEnabled=true
- Purchase Links:
- Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mamas-Gone-Lagotti-Family-Book-ebook/dp/B07LGGXTHL/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8
- Amazon US: https://www.amazon.com/Mamas-Gone-Lagotti-Family-Book-ebook/dp/B07LGGXTHL/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=mama%27s+gone+leopold+borstinski&qid=1551868479&s=gateway&sr=8-1
- Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/44087894-mama-s-gone